Her Excellency Angelika Viets,
Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Federal Republic of Germany to Singapore,
Mr Gerhard Geier,
President & COO, Rohde & Schwarz,
Dr. Lim Boon Huat,
Managing Director, Rohde & Schwarz Asia,
Ladies and gentlemen,
1. A very good morning. Today’s groundbreaking is a milestone event. It marks the beginning of Rohde & Schwarz’s first global hub outside of its Munich-based German headquarters. It gives me great pleasure to officiate at this happy occasion, particularly since my links with Rohde & Schwarz go back almost 20 years when I first visited your headquarters in Munich.
Rohde & Schwarz’s Expanding Presence in Singapore
2. Rohde & Schwarz is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of electronic test and measurement equipment, communications and broadcasting equipment. It is a classic example of a successful medium-sized German company or, family-owned, called ‘Mittelstand’, which has continued to innovate and made its mark in the world.
3. Since 1997, when Rohde and Schwarz first established its operations in Singapore, its presence has grown remarkably. Today, Rohde & Schwarz employs some 350 people in Singapore and carries out a wide range of activities including manufacturing, engineering, R&D, instruments development, product and regional customer management.
4. In 2010, JTC and EDB worked closely with Rohde & Schwarz to find a suitable location for their expansion in Loyang for their first manufacturing site outside of Europe. I understand that the facility, which undertakes systems and service engineering, production as well as supply chain management, has recently been expanded further. Less than two years after setting up your manufacturing site, we are pleased to have been able to work with the Rohde & Schwarz team again on this new facility in Changi Business Park.
5. Rohde & Schwarz’s new facility will significantly enhance its R&D, engineering and operational activities in Asia-Pacific. I understand that the facility will offer high value R&D and engineering jobs for an additional 100 odd people over the next 3 years. The establishment of this significant operation is in line with Singapore’s goal of becoming a home for high-value activities and demonstrates the strong and growing partnership between Rohde & Schwarz and Singapore.
The Role of Electronics and Media in Singapore’s Economy
6. Rohde & Schwarz’s strong expertise in areas such as test and measurement equipment for the electronics and broadcasting industries will also contribute to the development and growth of these important sectors in Singapore. These are significant segments within the electronics industry, which is a key industry in Singapore, generating a manufacturing output of more than $86 billion in 2011.
Industrial Development and Innovation in Singapore
7. We are also delighted that a world leader like Rohde & Schwarz has chosen Changi Business Park for its first global hub outside of Germany. The 71-hectare Changi Business Park was launched in 1997 and offers a conducive environment for high technology and R&D companies. Some of the world's leading technological players such as IBM, Honeywell and Invensys have also made Changi Business Park their home over the years. Singapore’s fourth university, the Singapore University of Technology and Design, a driver of technological innovation, will also be located conveniently nearby, complementing the R&D activities in Changi Business Park. The business park community is also well supported by food and beverage and other amenities in Changi City Point, a new mall located in the heart of the business park. In order to further enhance accessibility and public transport connectivity for businesses, the new Downtown Line will also serve the Changi Business Park when completed in 2017. So, I am confident that Rohde & Schwarz will find this to be a very conducive home.
8. At JTC we are committed to supporting companies like Rohde & Schwarz by providing unique and innovative industrial infrastructure solutions. Besides Changi Business Park, JTC has also developed other parks to provide a differentiating advantage to companies. These include the International Business Park, CleanTech Park and one-north, each offering a conducive environment through its own unique value proposition.
9. In closing, let me congratulate the management and staff of Rohde & Schwarz on this landmark event. The remarkable development of Rohde & Schwarz in Singapore has been due to your vision and hardwork in delivering results. I also want to thank the Rohde & Schwarz leadership for your trust and confidence in Singapore, and have no doubt that you will continue to strive and thrive in your new home here in Changi. Thank you.
----- End -----