Minister Lim Hng Kiang,
Ladies and gentlemen,
1. Thank you for joining us for the launch of the Surface Engineering Hub or SEH in short. Today’s launch marks another significant milestone in the development of Singapore’s surface engineering industry – a sector which is occupied by many of our SMEs.
JTC’s innovative infrastructure solutions for the surface engineering industry – Surface Engineering Hub
2. At JTC, we are keenly aware of the need to assume the role of an “Industrial Infrastructure Innovator” to develop solutions that will provide our customers a unique competitive advantage so as to grow their business.
3. This Surface Engineering Hub, or SEH, is a first-of-its-kind multi-tenanted facility comprising 63 units totalling 20,360 sqm. What makes it special is that this facility integrates the entire value chain and ecosystem of companies in the surface engineering industry, many of whom are SMEs. We chose to put this facility within Tanjong Kling as it was once home to many of our local surface engineering companies.
4. We have held many feedback sessions with the industry players and the Singapore Surface Engineering Association. One key feature of the facility is the centralised wastewater treatment plant. It reduces the space requirements, upfront capital investment and operating costs for our SMEs compared to each SME doing this individually. This centralised-common-user water treatment plant will indeed accelerate the start up of their operations. In addition, we also will co-locate complementary businesses to promote the sharing of know-how to capitalise on collaborative efforts and growth opportunities. From the government’s perspective, this facility allows us to intensify land-use, which is critical for land-scarce Singapore. We have estimated to save approximately 1.2 hectares of land. So, the SEH is really a multi-win proposition. It’s a good concept.
New tenants at the SEH
5. Does this facility truly meet the market test? We are delighted that a significant number of SMEs have expressed keen interest in it. Four of these companies – Al-Tech Services, ITI Metal Finishing, NHM Electroplating and Stella Specialty Chemicals – are here with us today and will be signing their letters of interest. We look forward to having more companies here, making SEH your home.
6. In closing, JTC did not do this alone and I want to thank our customers, industry partners such as Singapore Precision Engineering and Tooling Association and Singapore Surface Engineering Association, as well as our sister agencies EDB and SPRING and many others who have worked closely with JTC to make this happen.
7. It is now my great honour to invite Mr Lim Hng Kiang, Minister for Trade and Industry to address us. Minister Lim, please. Thank you.
------ END ------