Seletar’s rich aviation heritage began in 1928 when Seletar Airport, Singapore’s first international airport was developed here. The airport was originally known as RAF (Royal Air Force) Seletar, but served as a civil airport until 1937. Subsequently, RAF Seletar was used as a military airbase and Seletar became home to many RAF officers until its closure in 1971.
The transformation of Seletar from a military airbase to a world-class, integrated aerospace park began in 2007 when JTC started Phase 1 of the infrastructure improvement works. Within a short span of two years, new roads, drainage and sewer networks are put in place, a 66KV substation was constructed and commissioned, and 33 hectares of industrial land were made available for leasing.
Between 2009 and 2011, a 3-lane arterial road and 5 internal roads were constructed, and another 50 hectares of land undergo infrastructure development works as part of the Phase 2 works.
Moving forward, infrastructure works for Phase 3 of the Seletar Aerospace Park will commence in 2012 and is slated to be completed by 2014.